America Depends on China for Medicine
September 8, 2018
Phil Donahue
September 22, 2018

Corporations Are Not People, My Friend

Ralph welcomes Jeffrey Clements, founder of “American Promise,” an organization that seeks to write a 28th Amendment to overturn the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision. He is also author of the book, “Corporations Are Not People: Reclaiming Democracy From Big Money & Global Corporations.” Plus: Listener Questions!

Jeffrey Clements is a founder and president of America Promise which is an organization pushing for a 28th Amendment aimed at getting big money out of our electoral process. Mr. Clements is also the founder of Whaleback Partners LLC, which provides sustainable financing to businesses in the local agriculture economy and has practiced law for three decades in public service and private practice. In addition, he is the author of “Corporations Are Not People: Reclaiming Democracy From Big Money & Global Corporations.”

“Although the metaphor for ‘corporations as people’ is now something the Supreme Court has accepted and used, what it means is that this sort of fragile human being that is the foundation of our Constitution, of our rights, of our whole system of thinking about democracy has to contend not just with the loudmouths in the room at your local town meeting, not just with people you have different views about when you go to vote, but with literally trillions of dollars of wealth that doesn’t actually have any interest in your community or your food or your water, but only in profit.” Jeffrey Clements, author of “Corporations Are Not People: Reclaiming Democracy From Big Money & Global Corporations”

1. Afdal says:

The corruption during the 2016 election was NOT entirely “in-house” shenanigans by the DNC, as Ralph has put it. There is considerable evidence of targeted voter suppression of Sanders voters in states like Arizona and New York and credible evidence in 11 different primary states of election fraud via extreme deviations from exit polls. Read Election Justice USA’s large report Democracy Lost on the 2016 Democratic Primary, Ralph.

2. An Occupy Wall Street chapter, I vigiled with, took a resolution to divest from Citizens United tI the City Council of Thousand Oaks, CA.

That City Council ratified our recommendation, which surprised me as that council leaned conservative.

Surprised no more having heard your show today and I remain gratified having stood up and spoken my peace to those genial conserves, like preserves, serving us.

3. John E Benoit says:

I have yet to listen to this week’s episode. I downloaded your show and make it a part of my Monday morning ritual. So my question is unlikely related to this week’s episode. My question is, why is there not a separate election for vice president?

4. Marc says:

I’m with Mr. Clements in spirit, however if we really were going to craft a 28th Amendment I think there are better ideas for what it should be. The best idea I can think of would be to eliminate the exception clause to the 13th Amendment, which would illegalize slavery altogether. Because right now slavery is legal in the US; it’s reserved for prisoners. But in the warped political and economic dumpster that is the US, corporations are people but prisoners are not. Another idea would be to eliminate the Electoral College altogether. The POTUS is the only political office I can think of that is determined by something else other than popular vote. For all the hysteria the Democratic Party loves to bloviate regarding Russian meddling, the fact they willfully ignore is that Hillary did indeed win the POTUS by popular vote. Had it not been for the very existence of the EC, Hillary would be president right now. So there are IMO better ideas for what the 28A should be.

On Steve’s question “how can you bribe that many people?” if the HoR increased its members to the thousands, thereby making each representative more responsive to their voters because there would be fewer of them to represent, the fact is there is more than enough capital to control even that large number. While the term ‘capital’ when applied to the US seems to be a bit vague considering the utter ease of money creation, which is largely done by banks, I think in spirit we can safely say there is enough wealth to corrupt anything political. So there’s more than enough to corrupt thousands of politicians, there’s more than enough to co-ops third (and fourth and fifth, etc) parties, more than enough to drown populist movements, etc. If we were to make Congress more representative to the people, and eliminate obstructionism as well, the best path would be to eliminate the Senate entirely.

• Skro35 says:

Marc, please give us your last name or “a” last name. Ralph is reluctant to respond to people who don’t give their full names and this is a very godd observation

• Marc Hudgens says:

Thanks Steve for your response (I’m guessing you are Steve right?). Honestly I had no idea Ralph would even respond to anything I post; after all this is a comment and not a listener question. So here goes. Thanks again for all you, Ralph, David and Jimmy do. Still, you and Ralph certainly understand why plebs like me, in this age of mass surveillance, are hesitant to give out real names. Even though that doesn’t really stop them. Nevertheless, sorry for the late response.

5. R.S. says:

Please comment on the process of getting this amendment vs a constitutional convention that some groups (Koch?) are pushing for.
    Thanks